2009-10-05

First Pie!

Just thought I'd commemorate the first apple pie of the season! I always think of it as my official recognition of it being fall.


First of all, I realized that my pie-making setup is made up of a few gifts. The "apple lathe" is a Back To Basics Apple and Potato Peeler--a gift from AJFBS. And the pie plate is a gorgeous thrown clay pie pan, from BirdJen.

The crust recipe is straight from Cook's Bible (i.e., Chris Kimball/America's Test Kitchen), and the filling is mom's recipe (with a few tweaks). I only grabbed Macintosh apples this time for filling--I should have had a mix of a few others, a bit more tart, and a bit more bite. I have used Northern Spy in the past--and I agree with the common wisdom that they are pretty darn good for pies.


Anyway... nom nom nom. Need to make more soon...

1 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger dan said...

I made raspberry pie last week, instead, because, dammit, I wanted it.

But this looks graet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home