2009-08-02

Defeated By Plumbing

As always, my trips back to my parents' house involves various home repairs. They all started out quite well--the dining room window has required a stick to prop it up for, well, as long as we've lived there (1976... wow). I realized, "Hey, I can fix that!" Some surgical prybar work and a sash spring later, a working window!


New doorbell, no worries; water filter; ordered a new part. And then unclogging all the drains in the upstairs bathroom (sink, bathtub, shower). Yeah, ewwww.


The shower unclogging operation required a bit of persuasion to the plumbing--stuff that appeared to be concrete was in the drain, which required scraping out with a metal bar. However, later on that night, mom reported dripping from the living room ceiling, below the bathroom. Uh oh....


So there I was, sawing holes in the ceiling of my parents’ living room at 10 PM, with lukewarm brown water running down my arms into my shirt. It was especially frustrating, knowing that back at home, I had at least three tools that would be doing a faster, better, and cleaner job. As well as knowing that I couldn't take a shower to wash this stuff off.

I excavated the leaking pipe and found... uh oh, lead pipe? WTF? Wow. I’ve done plenty of plumbing, including black iron threaded gas pipe, sweated and compression fitting copper, CPVC, PEX… you name it. And as for drain lines, I’ve huffed more than my fair share of PVC and ABS cement, put together hubless fittings for cast iron, and sweated copper DWV. But lead pipe? Crap. That’s a whole new one to me. It appears that lead's strengths are corrosion resistance and formability; however, it is hurt by high cost, physical weakness, and creep (tendency to flow at room temperature, resulting in "sagging" pipes). Apparently, I had made a horizontal tear in the pipe while trying to unclog it. Grr.

Repair take one: Mission hubless coupling, with a sheet of rubber to act as a gasket. You'll notice what a wonderfully accessible spot this whole setup is--one side of the pipe tight up against a floor joist, and tucked in above a set of bookshelves. And the hole is on the side facing away from me.


Unfortunately, no dice--my guess is that the lead pipe is malleable enough that the gasket really didn't seal against a round surface--it just crushed the pipe, slightly.

Repair take two: sand off the pipe, and use PC-Plumbing™ Putty Epoxy--“The Impossible Made Easy”--not a bad slogan. Set it up, and... nope, still a trickle of a leak. Holy crap was I pissed.


After staring at it for a good long time, I was forced to give up and drive back home. It's hard to describe how much of a defeat this feels like, leaving it in my parents' hand to call a plumber to fix.

Man… this whole experience makes me realize that my attitude towards home ownership is converging with my attitudes towards babies—amusing at times, not bad to borrow, but maybe I’ll pass on being responsible for one, myself.

5 Comments:

At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Perlick said...

Heh. Love the comment of "fun to borrow" - "Okay, this is getting annoying now, you take over, I'm outta here". One thing I liked about owning a condo was that I could pass off major problems to the home owner's association to deal with and felt no guilt since that's what they were paid for.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Seppo said...

With a baby on the way in October, I'll still hope for the best on that front - but re: home ownership, I couldn't agree more. Damned water leak. This week, I take another stab at more rigorous water testing. I let a lot of weekends I could have done it slide by 'cause I'm lazy, but enough is enough. :P

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Aw, mom was nice about this all:

Yo-san and his assistant worked whole afternoon taking off tiles and other stuff underneath, and replaced the pipe. As Yo-san said and I had suspected, the top portion of the pipe was corroded and had a couple of pinhead size of holes. I did not find any holes on the side of the lower part of it. So, you should put a period to your false self-accusation. Yo-san pointed out that the top portion of the pipe was thinner than the rest. Anyway, you can check the pipe when you come home next time. I'm rather happy that we could fix the inevitable future disaster this way. As Yo-san is going to finish the work step by step, it will take a few more days. After testing it thoroughly, he will close the holes in the ceiling.

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous plumbing said...

Most of the time when we visited our home in province we do cleaning and repairing of stuff to make sure that it will preserved and can still use.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What you tried to do actually helped your parents, so you didn’t have to feel bad. Because of that pipe, the plumber was able to find other problems and prevent the problem to get worse. Anyway, you can always make it up to them and to yourself by fixing another problem the next something occurs.

Regards,
Gayle Manning

 

Post a Comment

<< Home