2008-01-23

Robbie Burns 2008

Yes, I know, another party this weekend... what a debauched lifestyle I have here. Another fantastic Robbie Burns/Jofish Birthday party--I was very annoyed that I missed 2007 (due to a Chicago work trip), but I have many fond memories of travelling to Ithaca for the 2005 and the 2006 parties. Travel this year was road tripping from Boston with Indy and another passenger (one in one direction, and a different one in the other... resulting in next zero Jofish friend flux).


Kip put a pretty complete set of pictures up on Flickr, and my more limited set is posted here.

As Jofish puts it in the invite, you must wear whatever makes you feel most beautiful. It was delightful to see many people take that to heart--for instance, I have to say that Caitlin looked positively regal... and Jofish wasn't half bad either.

Another rule of the party: Please bring a bottle. Champagne is entirely appropriate, whiskey traditional and entirely welcome, good beer is always good, ditto wine as long as it's not New York State red, which is nearly universally horrible. (Think Beaujolais Nouveau without the subtlety, depth and nuance, for those of you that haven't had the privilege.) My choice was a Springbank (Campbeltown) single malt--the standard single malt regions are Highland, Lowland, Islay, (sometimes) Speyside, and Campbeltown. However, I almost never see a Campbeltown--kinda like baby pigeons--they must exist somewhere, but you almost never see direct evidence. It was slightly smoky/peaty, but nowhere near the Islays.

I volunteered as kitchen help yet again (I talked about this pathological behavior in previous years), but I always get a kick out of it.



Although my karma points are probably dropping like a rock for plating a whole salmon like this. But it was necessary.

But on to the poetry. My selection was a two-line Samuel Hoffenstein poem (thanks to a concert that Dan & Daniel took me to):

When you're away, I'm restless, lonely, wretched, bored, dejected:
Only here's the rub my darling dear: I feel the same when you are near.


As Jofish observed (as would most of my readers): "So you're still single, huh?"

Morton had a book of modern poetry foisted on him (i.e., one of those no-punctuation-no-indentation-no-sentences-for-ten-pages abominations), that he was compelled to read until I took him down, to put him out of his misery. Poems were also read in ancient Greek and Icelandic. Also, I really love this action shot of Jess, Indy, and Jofish totally rocking out to 'Sorority Girl'.

I'm sad to report, though, that although Jess, Perlick, Jofish, Indy, and I have hung out in three different cities in the space of less than a month, this would be the last event for a while together. I think.


Yeah, I know, awwwww.

I really appreciate the fact that Ithaca is another place I escape to, letting me step out of my workaday life for short stretches. Various post-party activities (sitting around watching movies, making dinner together, brunch at Hal's, sauna) made it, all in all, a spectacular weekend. Thanks for the hospitality Jofish, and hope to see y'all soon!

2 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second all opinions in this post.

While reading your old post about kitchen help, it got me thinking about why I like the setup work as much as the party itself. I think it's both because less people are involved, and also the sense of accomplishment. Just talking to people at a party sometimes feels pointless to me, but getting the setup right and putting everything in place for others to have a great time is a real achievement. Yes, I'm still a child needing extrinsic motivation that can't enjoy the moment.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another theory:
helping out in the kitchen makes you part of the crowd throwing the party -- not only are you within your comfort zone, you're part of the process. You're "in".

Admit it, you just do it to be cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home