2008-01-13

Bird & Jen's Wedding Celebration

You might ask, "Um, Bats, weren't you just at a wedding?" Well, true enough. But this weekend was Bird & Jen's Wedding Celebration--they had eloped to Vegas back in October, and threw a celebration shindig at Cambridge Brewing Company!


Many folks from in town and out of town came to celebrate (including ajfbs, anteejean, bublina, dr_tectonic, jforbess, jofish22, nehrlich, nematsakis, orbitalmechanic, tuflilbuttercup), as well as Bird and Jen's families. It was kinda neat, because I've met Bird's folks a bunch of times (including crashing with them during a road trip that Perlick and I took in 1995). Bird's dad is an engineering professor who once worked in the oil industry (including offshore platforms), so he has lots of neat geeky stories (i.e., duh... that's where that trait comes from).

FYI, I have uploaded my photos to Flickr, but it does not include the Tep "family photo"--I believe Jen has it on her camera, and needs to photoshop it into acceptability.

JMD went a bit nuts with the Vegas-themed decorations, including cards and chocolate poker chips. She was also responsible for the head table:

Dress was casual, and the wedding cake was replaced with matching bride & groom cupcakes:


Other highlights included Hava nagila performed to the Dick Dale surf guitar version of the piece, and the required car decorations, including running Tiki and flamingo lights inside the car (to paraphrase the Dean's phrase from the Harvard hack, "All Tech men carry inverters!")

This was followed by candlepin bowling in Davis Square:


Man, I have to admit I really suck at candlepin (not that I'm good at regular bowling either). I'm wondering if I might be OCD enough I'm going to try going again to work up my game to non-embarrassing levels. I pretty much have no control... maybe I'll just try thinking about baseball next time.

We trooped everyone over to chez JMD et Bats, and I served up an evening of martinis and Manhattans... I really need to throw a bar party again sometime. For the record, a Michter's Manhattan with Stirrings blood orange bitters works quite nicely.

Sunday brunch at Bird & Jen's place (the Mando) followed. In this case, all the good parties end up in the bathroom:


As always, delightful seeing everyone!

3 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger j.ho said...

I just wanted to say again: thank you to everyone who came! I know some of you had to travel many hours by plane, car or bus and it was wonderful to see all of you. Bird and I really appreciated your kind wishes and being there to party. Mazal Tov!

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait- were those bride & groom PEZ dispensers?! How'd I miss that?

I'm embarassed to admit it, but I'd be willing to join you in candlepin practice. Aparrently I was really into it when I was, um, maybe 6 years old? I think it's 'cos I didn't have to wait for the pins to reset.

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous marquee hire said...

Wedding Favors offers unlimited possibilities for a couple to express gratitude to the guests who attended the event. Wedding favors a dual purpose of allowing the bride to express themselves creatively and emotionally and can be chosen to provide décor to the reception desk. The selection of economic favors should not compromise quality or elegance. Simple placecards in small decorative frames or placecard holders will make a lasting gift selection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home