2007-03-13

Back on the Job

This post was meant as an update after my first week back at work, but my weekend was occupied with software installs and biking to Micro Center. Photo-filled and long-winded post ensues.

So I'm back working full time now! Just to answer the first question on everyone's mind: no, the thesis isn't done yet. It's actually ridiculously close now--I need to finish a few more pages of conclusions and the abstract. But I pretty much haven't a block of time for that in the past week plus. I'm really glad that I gave myself February to grind through most of the writing.

Anyway, the job itself is going well. I got back into the groove of things pretty quickly, and I'm getting a pile of assignments. It's on the borderline of "Yay, I'm useful!" and "Uh oh, this is going to kick my ass very quickly." I already mentioned one of the field investigations I ran; I'll talk about the other below.

The office is in a great location--just outside of Porter Square. I know it's goofy, but it makes me happy to have this view of the city out my window.


It makes me immensely happy that I can just walk five minutes, and be at Anna's Taqueria, or Porter Exchange (udon for lunch below):



Dude! Curry udon with tempura shrimp for lunch! Awesome! This is especially true because our old office out on 495 had a choice of the pizza/sub shop that you had to drive to, and, um, well, that was about it. Hey, if folks want to do drinks after work around Porter (or anywhere in Red Line land), let me know! I haven't been to Christopher's since I've come back.

The commute is a vast improvement from the 495 office as well. A quick ride on the bus plus walking, or a short bike ride (partially on the Minuteman Trail). I managed to avoid getting doored today, riding on Elm through Davis.

My office itself is super nice; it's a room in a newly renovated house--I managed to set it up in the first few days. Furnishings provided by Pol Pottery Barn.


I also set up the Executive Sandbox that was a present from JMD. And my new business card case from A is in my desk. My friends are awesome.


Anyway, back to the other field investigation I've been on recently: it was out on 495, pretty near U5 and Rebecca's place, so I went there for dinner after the job. The logistics worked out very nicely--another thing that makes me happy about being back in town. Actually, it worked very well both socially and work-wise: I set up some measurement equipment to run at the site overnight, and collected it in the morning (after crashing out at U5 & Rebecca's). A funny anecdote though: I started describing the building to them, and U5 asked, "Is there a restaurant and a furniture store there?" "Well, yeah." "We just had dinner there the other night." Wacky. I'm glad to report that I got to wander through the kitchen during my investigation, and there was nothing at all to cause alarm.

Every once in a while, I realize, as I'm walking around the streets and catch a glimpse of the Hancock or the Pru: "I'm back in Boston! Really! Woo!" And I get to head to a conference down at the Seaport World Trade Center tomorrow--bus to Red Line to walk (or perhaps Silver Line). Too cool.

2 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Executive Sandbox!
My dentist (among others) has a zen garden in his waiting room. I'm very tempted to get the "Day at the Beach" version and randomly leave, say, a shovel and pail amongst the rocks during my next visit...

(and yes, I do have a great dentist)

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Bats said...

These zen sandboxes remind me of an anecdote told in the book Love Monkey. A much-disliked boss comes in one day to find his zen sandbox with a Monopoly token dog, leg raised, leaving a tiny fresh turd. Puerile, but, heh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home