2008-05-07

Another Self-Indulgent Personal Appearance Post

Around New Year's, Jofish and a few other folks had a fun session of "making up New Year's resolutions for other people." The one he chose for me was, "Spend more than $100 on a haircut." Being pretty much a $15 SuperCuts kinda guy, this was pretty intimidating... a salon sounds like a place where I am seriously out of my element. However, I realized that this would probably be a good experience for me.

So I decided I should start taking baby steps, and at least get my hair done somewhere other than SuperCuts. Also, as you can see, I really needed a haircut--I've been putting it off for about three months.


Yeah, as I've said before, "Tell me more about carbon emissions, Dr. Suzuki!"

Based on a recommendation from Guy (of A & Guy), I made an appointment at Salonika in Davis Square. I told them up front, "I've never been to a salon before, so this is pretty much an alien experience to me." The hairdresser put me at ease immediately, saying, "Well, welcome to our world." Made me smile.

First, there was getting my hair washed... I don't think I remember having somebody else wash my hair since... well, since I could wash it myself. But hey... paying a cute woman with a gorgeous Irish accent to run her fingers through my hair... now how is that a bad thing?

I took the opportunity to see if her expertise could provide any insight for a hair style direction. I was figuring this will end up being an iterative experience--I'll probably bring pics on my laptop to say, "more like this, less here," etc. She gave me some pointers on conditioner and using product... pushing me a little away from my standard, "part where it naturally falls," and maybe going a little spiky or something. Huh... so this is a $35 haircut (not including tip):


And from the back/side:


I think that overall it's ok... I don't like having my sideburns cropped that much higher, though. Maybe leaving the front longer could work as well... get a little bit of the animé character thing going on, perhaps? Any thoughts or critiquing would be welcome.

6 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should try asking for a dual-mode haircut. Something that will be fashionable and sexy and dramatic if you spend the requisite half hour and $10 of assorted products to make it do its thing, but will also look decent (if pedestrian) the 99% of the rest of the time when you just run a comb through it.

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cut is worth 35$! (but then i might argue getting my hair washed by a cute girl with an irish accent is worth 35$).. ;-) Nice, much less shaggy. I like.

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, so I shouldn't be cutting my own hair at home with a pet grooming kit?

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it always seems a bit short at first, but the thing with salon haircuts is they assume that they last several weeks/months, so i find they usually trim just a little more than necessary to give it lots of room to grow and still look well-groomed. so i'd wait a week or two and then see what your hair (& superpower sideburns) looks like.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger dan said...

I like the cut, and I do think you might look good with mildly spiky hair. I was surprised by how much younger I looked when I did that.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it. It's a good haircut on you. Sweeet sez me. Congratulations! Definitely well worth it (and, as Danielle sez, well worth $35).

How do you feel about this whole product thing? I was pretty unhappy with it until I found a really lightweight product that I liked, which doesn't give me that kureizi-anime-hairu look and can just be slapped on in small doses, run through hair and I'm done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home