2006-11-19

When it Rains...

After my recent post about being socially isolated while working on my thesis, I've had a surprising burst of social activity, due to a combination of my efforts and random circumstances.

Last Thursday, I had dinner at Chief Grad Student's place; I suggested that I come over sometime so that they could share my first apple pie of the season. A lovely dinner, another successful pie, and another opportunity to use my apple lathe (thanks A!).


On Friday afternoon, I went into lab to work with one of recent grad students (mentioned earlier) on some experimental setup. Good to get the hell out of the house; we also made plans for dinner and a movie.

On Saturday evening, I went over to dinner at her place, and we went to see Fast Food Nation at the local art-house theater. A fun time: she was great dinner company, and makes a kick-ass bread pudding.

A strong recommend on the movie--the ensemble cast was great--the Mexican immigrant couple was played by the woman from Maria Full of Grace, and the guy who plays Fez in That '70s Show. For those of you who don't eat beef, the meat processing plant "kill floor" scene will probably make you quite comfortable, if not smug, in your decision. I was amazed that they got that footage though--I can't imagine any meat processor would want those scenes filmed (including using the stunner, lower limb removal, and skinning).

Tonight, I went to another film at the local art house, with Dan and Daniel--49 Up, which is part of a continuing series that tracks and interviews several British children (every seven years) from 1964 through today (when they are 49 years old). It was really fascinating and engaging; it made me take a moment to reflect on where the path of my life is taking me--big picture things like that.

And tomorrow night, Dan and Daniel are coming over for dinner. Indian food! Yay!

As you might guess, thesis progress has been slowed by all this social activity. I am gradually emotionally accepting that I won't be done in December--I have figured (intellectually) that this was the case, but we're close enough now that it's a pretty foregone conclusion. Ah well... back to writing.

1 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Blogger dan said...

The problem with just seeing a movie is that you don't really get much chance to really chat. But we'll do that this evening, instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home