2006-05-08

A Vacation Without Leaving Home

I have spent the past five days on a mini-vacation, with five visitors from out of town--it was nice to break out of the routine and take a few days off, now that the semester is over. I got to spend some time being a tour guide for them around Toronto, and hanging out in some of my favorite spots around KW.

As promised, here is the family tree showing the relationship of my visitors. All are women, and four out of five can be addressed as Ms. L. Three are sisters-in-law.



The ones with heavy borders are the ones that came up (Marilyn, Jennifer, Rebecca, JMD, and Delaney). The dotted line between U5 and Rebecca means they are about to get married--in exactly a month, in fact! Woo hoo!

We did a variety of activities around Toronto, including wandering around the park near the base of the CN Tower, dining and shopping in Chinatown, visiting the Royal Ontario Museum, and checking out the Distillery District.

The Distillery District is the complex of buildings that used to be the Gooderham and Worts Distillery; it was converted into a combination of retail spaces, artist galleries, and condos. It is a pedestrian-only space; very nice to wander around in. A good example of adaptive reuse of some really gorgeous old buildings--but I felt a little bit of guilt that I have talked about before. A lot of the stores there seemed just a bit too targeted to people with too much money--the art galleries, the upscale kitchen stores. Still, it was worth hanging out there for sure. Incredibly picturesque--some folks were shooting their wedding pictures there that day.



One entertaining aside was that they offer Segway rentals and tours of the distillery. The idea of a Segway Gang (with matching leather jackets and spiked helmets) is something I must put in practice someday.



However, I didn't get the photo that I really wanted--I planned to get in front of the rolling Segway group, and get a shot of me running towards the camera (away from the Segways) with a look of fleeing panic on my face.

6 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh good family tree. useful. i think i knew most of it but it's good to see written down.

now. so aloicious the bartender at pixel formerly at stella's is the cousin of schmooze and leela and rebecca then, yes? or is he on the other side?

and despite the similarities in first names, jenn & becca extremely-long and-made-of steele (sort of) (that should be hidden from google enough) are not in this tree anywhere, right?

j

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Bats said...

now. so aloicious the bartender at pixel formerly at stella's is the cousin of schmooze and leela and rebecca then, yes?

"So Leia is my sister, and Chewbacca used to be my family's dog, and R2D2 used to be Obi Wan Kenobi's garbage disposal?..."

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Oh wait.. it just clicked--that was a serious comment, not a joke.

I'm pretty sure that the bartender (or cook?) in Ithaca is related on Jen's side of the family. But I could be wrong. Perlick--do you remember?

No intertwining with the other family tree, as far as I know.

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you forgot u5's spawn. they are official grandchildren of marilyn according to her.
jean

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Hey you forgot u5's spawn. they are official grandchildren of marilyn according to her.

True enough, but that would involve adding Margaret to the family tree, and I have no idea how you make all those geneology lines work out with divorced -> remarried.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chef/bartender in Ithica is my first cousin on my mother's side. Jen in NoCal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home