2006-04-20

Aaaaannd... It's a Wrap

I took the final exam for my my case studies class in Toronto today. I am now done with all of the classes that I need for my master's degree. I find it difficult to keep this slightly crazed little smile off my face, even now... I am finding it hard to believe, but in a pleasant way.



Incidentally, I think I did pretty well; I was pretty confident in my answers. Also, the professor told me after the exam that he liked my class report... not bad. To be honest, since I was taking this class from my mentor's former advisor, I really wanted to excel, to do my mentor proud (i.e., "Obi-Wan has taught you well, young Jedi...")

Speaking of which: to reward myself, I stopped by Future Shop (Canadian Circuit City/Best Buy analog), and bought myself the DVD box set of Star Wars Episodes IV-VI. Yes: "I AM A GREAT BIG DORK IN CASE THERE WAS ANY QUESTION OF THAT, JUST SO YOU KNOW."

Postscript: I just finished watching Episode IV. Some people have complained to me that it doesn't stand up on later viewings, but to be honest, I still love it. It's just so thoroughly imprinted on my brain, cheesy lines and everything. The the characters that I've always loved (go Artoo!), the musical leitmotifs and cues, the atmosphere, the production design, everything... a very nice dip into nostalgia. It struck me how strongly this film has the whole Joseph-Campbell-mythic-story feel that seems to be lacking in Episodes I-III.

Anyway, I no longer have the entire opening crawl memorized though--only the first paragraph or so.

6 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Congrats!

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger dan said...

It's pretty neat that you're able to cartoon yourself that recognizably and yet simply. Nifty.

I'm in KW this weekend. Come by for a visit?

 
At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations, Master Ueno!

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Go Bats!

I am so psyched for you! And proud of you! And jealous as all hell!

As for Star Wars, I think some of the mythic Campbellness *could* have been maintained in episodes I-III if Lucas had been willing to let someone else direct. And do some script editing. A lot of the elements were there, but it got lost in a lot of stupid crap. [Mitichlorians?! Dude. Proof denies Faith. Bad Lucas, no biscuit.] Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I have the sense of what could've been, if only (ironically) Lucas hadn't been given such free rein.

But yes, I still love the old ones, in spite of Leia's lip gloss (how did that not get toned down in the re-mastering?!) and those bloody ewoks.

[and no, for your information, I am *not* a dork. A nerd? Yes. A geek? Unquestionably. A social misfit? Of Course. But I am not, and have never been, a dork. I'm just too girly.]

Of course, speaking of movie fandom and geekiness, I am drawn of late to oriental films a la "Hero", "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and "House of Flying Daggers". Action, adventure, strong characters, symbolism and cinematography... good stuff.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Thanks for all your kind words, everyone!

PS--Empire Strike Backs is still enjoyable to watch even nowadays. I breezed through a bit of Episode I for contrast--man that was painful.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Thanks for all your kind words, everyone!

PS--Empire Strike Backs is still enjoyable to watch even nowadays. I breezed through a bit of Episode I for contrast--man that was painful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home