2005-09-12

iTunes and Windows: grrr...



I recently downloaded and installed iTunes 5.0, and started getting very interesting errors. When I ran it as my first application, it started up just fine. However, when I tried to start it after anything else had started, it gave me the error "Ordinal 140 could not be located in the dynamic link library MAPI32.dll" Th'fok? I tried repairing the installation, and the same problem occurred.

Fortunately, I have learned that one excellent way to figure out errors was just to do a Google search the error text string. After a few iterations ("ordinal 140 mapi32.dll itunes"), I found this on Marcus Guske's webpage, which is entirely in German except for quotes on fixing this problem. In an effort to increase his pagerank, and to spread useful knowledge on the net, I am mirroring the fix stated on that page, which seems to be working for me.

From: Mark Sicignano
Part I:

I'm getting an "Ordinal 140 not found" error, and when I run fixmapi, as suggested in this and other threads, it replaces MAPI32.DLL and related files with a version that may be older.

Now iTunes will work, but when I run Eudora, it appears to undo what fixmapi did.
So I'm back to square one.

Is iTunes relying on an older version of MAPI32.dll? I also upgraded to Eudora's latest release as well.

Part II:

OK, I got it working again.

I ran "fixmapi.exe" as some suggested. Then I copied the mapi32.dll from c:\windows\system32 into the iTunes program folder (typically C:\Program Files\iTunes).

This gives iTunes the DLL that it wants, since it's going to look first in the program's run folder first, and then use the path to find mapi32.dll.

Then when I run Eudora, it merrily copies it's prefered version of mapi32.dll into the \windows\system32 folder and now both applications are happy again.

So let me get this straight... This was for some kind of Outlook integration? I don't even have outlook loaded on my machine!


Same here... stupid Outlook... stupid MicroSoft.

1 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One other useful thing:
I found backups of previoius versions of MAPI32.dll in my c:\windows\system32 folder, named in the format MAPI32.000, MAPI32.001, etc. When my iTunes stopped working I copied the most recent one of these to my iTunes folder and renamed it MAPI32.DLL and was back in business. Thanks for the post about this, it was very helpful!

-nate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home