2005-08-29

Truth in Advertising



This past weekend was the Waterloo Busker Carnival--a street performer fair in uptown Waterloo. As I was passing by, I noticed an ad from the local 'Lite Rock' station: 96.7 CHYM FM.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the word Chyme:
Pronunciation: 'kIm
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin chymus, from Late Latin, chyle, from Greek chymos juice; akin to Greek chein
: the semifluid mass of partly digested food expelled by the stomach into the duodenum


My first thought was, "What a horrible name for a radio station." Then, after thinking about it, I realized: why yes, 'Today's lite rock' has an awfully pre-digested quality, and a similarity to vomit, doesn't it? And I guess I have heard serious discussion of the use of Celine Dion as an emetic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home