2005-07-17

More technical difficulties

My laptop computer has died. Again (see below). Fortunately, like most geeks I know, I have a desktop machine as well as the laptop. And fortunately, unlike most geeks I know, I do a pretty decent job of keeping backups current.


I've owned this laptop (Fujitsu E7010) for over three years; I had another Fujitsu before that, and I've been happy with both. However, right during crunch time this past fall semester, the machine stopped working (did not boot up/show BIOS screen). The repair shop told me it needed a new system board (a.k.a. mainboard or motherboard)--$800 parts, plus ~$100 labor. Ouch. Got it fixed, because I needed my machine up and running ASAP, and because I've been pretty happy with the machine in the past.

Then last week, it had the same failure to start up, and the repair shop told me it was another dead system board. There is only a three month warranty on the part, and it's eight months out. Bastards.

Since it's summer, I don't need a laptop right away. Therefore, I'm writing up a complaint letter to Fujitsu, asking them to either replace the system board for a nominal fee or discount a new machine. I've been recommending Fujitsus to friends and colleagues; I'm trying to use this fact as leverage in my letter. Not sure if I'm going to get anything out of it or not. So watch this space in the next month or two for either a 'Fujitsu sucks and you should never buy one' rant, or a 'Fujitsu's customer service rocks--I still like them.' post.

If customer service tells me to piss off, any recommendations for a new machine? Also, I'm starting to think that extended warranties are a pretty good piece of insurance, given potential costs of laptop repairs.

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you want to switch from the dark side I could offer some suggestions, thought the Mac laptop scene is a bit middle of the road right now.

Rawhide

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Bats said...

I'd love to--I really would--but just about every application specific to my field (both simulations and interfaces with data acquisition/measurement equipment) is Windows-based. Probably will get myself a Mac Mini as an entertainment center/always on MP3 player when I am back to having a real salary. In the meanwhile, it's Sith2000 for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home