2005-08-27

Holy recursive photos...



A Saturday night post; a bunch of items:
  • Fujitsu Rocks: As I mentioned earlier, my Fujitsu laptop computer died for a second time a few weeks ago. I sent a nastygram to Fujitsu Canada, asking them to take a second look at my computer, and provide either a discounted repair or something off a new machine. They told me to send it in; after looking at it for a few days, they found they could not replicate the error. The most they could figure out was that the main board was not seated properly. They took care of this diagnosis and sent my fixed machine back to me at no cost. Fujitsu now has my loyalty; when it comes time to buy BatBook III, it will probably be from them. However, I can't say the same about Mainline Notebooks, who fixed my computer the first time ($1000), and then diagnosed my computer the second time ($50, and "needs another $1000 repair"). All I can say is that they are either incompetent or unscrupulous: either way, they don't deserve your business. If you know anybody in the K-W area looking for a laptop or a repair, steer them away from those guys.
  • City Cafe Bakery: When I went out to dim sum, Dan brought me over to this cafe in Kitchener: I had actually biked by the back of it at least a dozen times (it's right off the bike path). However, I never went in, because from behind, it looks like another generic Chinese restaurant. It's a neat little bakery, in a converted gas station, with a big-ass wood fired oven five feet away from the counter. Good croissants and thin-crust pizza. A description and photo are in the local paper here. It's another place that I'm glad to know exists.
  • Depressing documentaries: I found out that the PBS documentary series Frontline is available for viewing on the web. I've always found them well-put-together, insightful documentaries; if you get a chance, check out Private Warriors (military contractors in Iraq), or Secret History of the Credit Card (just how distribution of credit cards skyrocketed in the 80's, and the repercussions). I've always found their depressing documentaries to be a good way to spend an evening; helpful for confirming that the world is as broken as I think it is.
  • Fuel prices: I realized how wonderfully I'm insulated from rising fuel prices in the life I'm living right now. I looked through my receipts, and figured out the last time I filled my car's tank was June 9th. W00t. Another two weeks, and I can make it three months. Also, high fuel prices give me the satisfaction of watching SUV drivers spent big bucks to fill their tanks [grin]. Yes, I know the overall effects of fuel costs on inflation and the economy, but it's a small visceral victory there.
  • Being a host: I had Chief Grad Student and his wife over for dinner tonight; I realized that this was the first time that I've hosted somebody for dinner since I've moved here. Cooked an Indian meal (thank you, Madhur Jaffrey): Beef do piaza (CGS's wife doesn't like lamb), Gujerati-style green beans, and carrots, peas, and potatoes with cumin seeds. It's pretty scary: I used to throw dinner parties all the time back in Cambridge, and its taken me this long to get back in the habit. I guess it has taken this long to have the time and a working kitchen. I'm hoping to do this more often: Dan and Daniel--do you have any plans next weekend?
  • One-year anniversary: It's official. I've been in this country for a year now. I crossed the border during my move on 2004-08-27. Wow. At times this feels like a short little bit of time, at others it feels like I've been here and settled for ages. Okay, if you actually count my in-country days, I've been travelling outside of Canada for about 100 days (~30% of the year).

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're having Cait and Janelle to dinner on Friday. Do you want to have dinner Saturday and then see The Aristocrats?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home