2005-02-10

Yay! Laundry!

Events finally coincided so that chief grad student could bring over his old washer and dryer for me to use, since he has bought a totally hot horizontal-axis (i.e., more energy efficient) LG washer and dryer. They're here! I can stop going to the laundromat! Yaay! (I was really annoyed at the idea of laundry as being a 'scheduled' event--going to the laundromat--as opposed to a 'background task' that could be done while working on other things around the house).



Anyway, the washing machine was a bear and a half to get up the narrow steep stairs to my apartment. There's actually a big chunk of concrete ballast in the base that can't easily be removed. Fortunately, we were collectively clever enough to rig up nylon tiedown straps with loops as carrying straps kinda like this.

Next, I need to do some plumbing and electrical work to connect them up: sink tap to hose adapter supply, plus extending the drain hose, a temporary dryer exhaust, and a scary 10 gauge pigtail plug off the range.

Man. These suckers are really big--they change around the feel of the kitchen a lot. I guess it's a good chunk of additional horizontal counter space. I'm not sure what will happen with them when I move back stateside--I guess it all depends where I end up (with or without laundry).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home