2005-02-14

In Celebration of the Stupid Holiday


I don't know about you, but those diamond ads really rub me the wrong way. I've always wanted to make a spoof of them, but I've found that somebody has already done a great job. The above ad is one of the least offensive of the batch. Another rather clever one was:

The Beatles Lied:
You can buy love.

They get much ruder than these... if anyone's interested, I can forward them.

I guess I have problems with the diamond ads for many reasons. Among them, the blatant manipulativeness, grotesque sentimentality, the clear materialism (of money buying love), the way that the commercial/advertising mind has done a good job of actually making this into reality, and the general sliminess of the diamond industry (completely artificial pricing created by industry--the fact that DeBeers is so monopolistic that they cannot operate in the US, because they would get nailed by antitrust regulations).

Enh. My two cents for the stupid holiday. Unfortunately, I don't count any single people among my social circle up here at school, so there's no option to have a "Luv Sux" dinner replacement (kudos to Bradley for hosting the dinners over the years, and best regards to all of you in the Bay Area who are going this year. Yeah, that means you, Perlick).

6 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Sux turned out to be a small gathering this year, just 7 people, with me, Brad and Jill as 3 of the 7. The fact that it was a drizzly Monday night probably didn't help. But still fun. To another year of singlehood. Lacheim (I have no idea how to spell that). -- Perlick

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we missed you this year Bats. Next year in Toronto!

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was whining to Perlick that I was sad I didn't have a Luv Sux dinner here in Austin. But I ended up meeting (and drinking with) a bunch of punkass bikers instead. I ran into them as they were finishing up their anti-VD ride.

Now I know some people who ride pedicabs around Sixth St, making money of the drunk kids. Woo.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Yeah--maybe next year in Toronto.

Perlick--FYI, it's l'chaim.

As seen in Fiddler on the Roof.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see those De Beers Ads any chance you can forward them to me? Please leave me an email that I can forward you my address.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Bats said...

I would love to see those De Beers Ads any chance you can forward them to me?

Aha--intarweb to the rescue--somebody apparently has them posted online:

http://mvgals.net/gallery/jokes?page=2

Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home