2008-08-03

A Nice Visit, Catching Up

Nothing terribly exciting since last week, except for a visit by Josh/Speedbump, who brough his son Max with him. A bunch of us went out to Brehznev's for dinner; they and Bird hung out at my place--a few beers, some chatting, the usual.


Josh has defended his PhD, and is currently living in Indianapolis--so I guess he's most of the way to being Dr. Bump!

Max found the Schmedley collection; JMD decided that they have lived here long enough, and they went with him. Heh.


Also, random entertaining asides--while biking over to T-Stop, Jessie, and Indy's place, I was biking through Davis Square, and heard, "Hey Bats!" Jesse/Penguin, his girlfriend, and Julee were sitting on the steps--I love the random meetings that happen in a town like this. Julee was in town for Wally & Agi's wedding; she's still pounding away in med school in CO.

Also, at the bus turnaround, I saw an odd piece of equipment chained to the bike racks. Huh?


Turns out it is a mock-up of the front bumper of a bus and the folding bike rack that you can use to bike/bus commute. Huh.. wacky. No idea why it was there. But I went ahead and tried it out for myself (as practice, if I ever need to put my bike on the bus).

Another random vignette--while I was at Whole Foods the other day, as I was approaching, I saw somebody come out of the store, look at the bike rack, and go, "Aw, fuck!" Turns out that his brand-new Cannondale had been stolen... which does suck. But then when he mentioned, "I was only in there for five minutes..." and that he didn't lock it up, a lot of sympathy went away. Argh... what makes you think it is possibly a good idea to leave multiple hundreds of dollars of highly mobile equipment around unlocked... even if for a few minutes? Um, how many seconds does it to steal an unlocked bike? Even with my 10+ year old beater, I lock it whenever I step away from it, and would consider it an obvious invitation for theft. Also, it appears that Boston was the number six city for bike theft in 2002 ("includes Cambridge, Allston, Somerville").

Anyway, off to another Summer Camp (big symposium/party that my company puts on every year)--I'll be living up there for the next three or four days--see y'all after that!

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Grief, was he a freshman or what? Geez, my little sister's bike got stolen from the student center racks because her lock wasn't very studly. But to not lock it up at all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home