2008-08-28

Media (Music, Video) Dorkery


Two bits of iTunes dorkery to share. First of all: Season 5 of The Wire was just released! Woo hoo! Yeah, I'm probably the only one in my circle of friends who cares (Perlick already has seen Season 5), but I am a huge fan of the series, and I have been waiting and waiting for it to become available. Now I definitely have ways to waste vast amounts of time.

Incidentally, speaking of TV shows, I finally managed to check out hulu.com for the first time--the first thing I watched was Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog--definitely amusing (yeah, this was the first time I've watched it). After watching snippets of Family Guy, I realized I needed to tear myself away before my dessiccated corpse was found with at the kitchen table, with a finger on the touchpad.

The second piece of dorkery comes from how I found a piece of music. I was listening to Marketplace yesterday, and one of their 'buttons' (the song snippets between stories) was an a cappella version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing." Found out that it was done by Petra Haden, and I had the instant gratification of buying it from iTunes about 30 seconds after that. It had lots of cute tongue-in-cheek musical humor bits, and the voice-fed-through-effects-box for guitar solos was terrific. As an aside, my canonical example of that effect is Vox One's cover of Stevie Ray Vaughan's "The Sky is Crying" (one guy doing both the voice and solo guitar part, alternating microphones. Whoah).

It turns out that the song is from the album
Guilt By Association
...on which some of the top indie artists cover their favorite guilty pleasure pop songs in their own unique way.

Wow... I am so completely unhip as to not recognize any of those indie artists. Ah well. ("Um, dude... you're 38. Unless you're a music critic, I'd figure there would be no chance of it.") For instance, I had a better frame of reference that Petra Haden is the daughter of Charlie Haden (jazz bassist, was a member of Ornette Coleman's band--Shape of Jazz to Come) than the fact that she was a member of the Decemberists.

Anyway, you must must must please check out the YouTube Video somebody made of that song--it had me laughing out loud.

2 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Wes Carroll said...

Paul Stiller (Vox One) is indeed God. Little known fact, but true nonetheless.

Petra Haden was unknown to me before your post. She really can sing! But she's touring with Foo Fighters, which I find that disappointing on the basis of her Journey cover; I wasn't THAT impressed. Pout.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Bats said...

I checked with my coworker, who is in his mid-thirties and way more hip than me (he plays in a band locally, at Middle East and similar clubs). He recognized maybe four or five of the bands. Just for reference.

Yeah, I realized while writing this post that Wes should be the final authority on for final judgment on anything a cappella-related [grin]. Glad you found her fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home