2008-03-05

Random Amusements

Not much content today; just some randomly amusing items.

First, I'm currently writing a conference paper--part of it is explaining the spatial moisture content of the exterior side of the wall (sheathing)--I had some pictures, so I decided to use color to make it more understandable:


Then I realized... aw man.. if I had selected another set of colors, I could totally have made Figure 6 of my paper a Mondrian knock-off.


Second, an amusing story from a coworker. One of the spare chairs in his office is missing the rear screws in the seat, so if you lean forward, it dumps you on the ground if you're not careful.

The boss came to visit, and was using this chair to take a conference call. My coworker wanted to give him a warning about the chair, without interrupting the call, so he wrote on a post-it: "J.--chair broken--don't lean forward!"

And then put the note on the table in front of J.

Badness ensues.

As my coworker put it, "I'm sorry, but sometimes, I'm just dumb."

Finally--JMD and I went out to the new local sushi place--it's just down the street. I owed her dinner, in return for a ride to the airport. It was very good--excellent Korean vegetable pancake, very tasty sushi, and extremely attentive service. So for those of you who will be crashing here in the future, we have an easy no-thought-required default dinner option (um, for the fish-eating among you, at least).

1 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At a conference last week, one of the (excellent) presentations was heavy on the cluster analysis of gene expression. She ended with a slide of a Kandinsky painting, deconstructed and sorted. It was brilliant. And funny. Ever since then, I've wanted to make a "pseudo heat map" by (virtually) slicing up a Mondrian and sorting it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home