2006-11-26

Officially Yuppified


The downtown area (called "uptown") that is a few blocks away has now officially hit the big time: the Starbucks just opened up. I am close enough that it is six minutes from my front door to sitting down with a cup of coffee (brewed, not a fancy drink). Just in time for me to move out.

Say what you want about the rapacious corporatism and saturation-bombing store placement of the chain, but they do make consistently decent coffee. Also, they create an atmospheric experience that people enjoy, and want to hang out and linger in. I often end up at Starbucks during my travels, when spending downtime writing postcards.

But for what it's worth, I'll be heading to 1369 when I'm back in town, since I'll actually have options at that point. Aw crud, looks like the Someday Cafe closed sometime over this summer. Hey Somerville locals--is it sadly missed, or is it a case of, "Enh, Diesel Cafe is better anyway"?

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger dan said...

The gelato place has decent coffee.

But yes, I get coffee and food at Starbucks, too. My most exotic Starbucks story is when I went to the one at GMP.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Jessie said...

My impression, based on some newspaper articles and a long, contentious and kind of dumb discussion on the Davis Square livejournal, is pretty much "eh." The most common positive opinion was something like, "Sure, the place kind of went to pieces recently, but it used to be so great!"

I like Diesel. I don't often get a ton of work done but that might have to do with how often I run into my friends there. They make a fabulous mocha espresso thing which I can't drink, and I like their food a lot. They're much larger than they used to be, too, they took over the space behind them.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Jessie--cool, and thanks for the local scoop. And good god, that Davis Square livejournal was incredibly painful, but in an amusing way.

Maybe I'll end up in that neck of the woods one of these days--we'll see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home