2006-07-07

How Much is that Hard Drive in the Window?

I actually started running out of hard drive space this week--it's unfortunate, but somebody pointed out BitTorrent to me. Anyway, looking at drive prices, I realized, "Holy crap, storage is getting really cheap!"



A Western Digital 320 GB for $135 CAD, or $120 US. That's 38 cents a gig. And I was happy when storage went below $1 a gig.

Yeah, that's a lot of pr0n--uh, I mean music! Yeah, MP3s! Honest! See:



I don't know what to expect for reliability with prices getting this cheap--but then again, it is meant as a backup drive that will only be accessed periodically.

<side hardware geekery>

During the installation process, I first got tripped up by the 137 GB limit--the installation software maxed out at that size--it was an, "Oh hell, did I buy myself an expensive brick?" moment. However, Google is much smarter than I am, so I figured out what was going on: I was trying to connect this new drive to an Ultra66 controller card, which seems to have that limit. I had installed the card to add a fifth storage device a while ago. I looked at what devices on the four motherboard connections--a Zip drive?!? Man... if that's not technology that got its ass handed to it by the march of time. Considering that 100 or 250 MB is a small flash drive nowadays... how sad. And that a DVD-R is 5 GB, if you're thinking about longer term storage. So one disconnected zip drive later, I was up and running.

</side hardware geekery>

5 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, hard drives are getting ludicrously cheap. Which is good because I'm putting more and more crap on mine.

Pr0n!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great how cheap it's getting. I bet that soon even everyday people like myself with have RAID 0 or even RAID 0+1 set up as long as something better doesn't come around that is just as cheap.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Yeah, I'm wondering how soon home terabyte storage is going to be commonplace. I certainly don't have a use for a terabyte right now, but in a few years...

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. I remember back in 1992 or so, Golan bought a Mac with a 1GB hard drive. 1GB!?!?! We couldn't conceive of any way in which anybody could ever use that much hard disk space (most of us had 20MB hard drives at the time).

"Why, back when _I_ was a freshman..."

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. So that's $375 US for one Terabyte. I note that about 6 months ago the Apple store started offering their G5 with 1T storage as a configurable option...

Amazing what a decade or two of doubling every year will do...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home