2006-07-16

Ass-Kicker Trip

Just got back from my four-day trip to Chicago; I went there to work on my thesis field experiment, which is a test basement in the exurbs. I had planned for two days worth of work, with some down time off to see the town.

The trip wasn't hellish for travel reasons--it went pretty smoothly, actually. I flew out of Buffalo instead of Toronto--2 hours of driving instead of 1+, and saving $300 on the ticket.

However, the work was much longer than expected: Day 1 was 11 hours, and Day 2 was longer. At least it was in a nice cool basement, instead of a roasting attic. And I completed the work I set out to do, and was happy with the results. But I pretty much rolled back to the hotel and crashed each night--nothing more adventurous than walking to the Bennigan's across the parking lot.

After Day 2, I left the jobsite around 9, and didn't get to the hotel until past 10. At that point, it seemed like all the restaurants were closing down, and I desperately needed a shower first. I weighed my options: drive around and forage, possibly ending up at Burger King, or just admit defeat and head to the vending machines for dinner. Result:



Mmmm, mmmm, yummy dinner there.

Well, anyway, this is what I managed to see of downtown Chicago.



Enh... no worries. I've gotten to see awesome parts of town before, and I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to come back.

4 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger dan said...

Any chance you feel like talking more about basements?

[I promise that I do think of you more often than just when thinking of your copious skills...]

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you gotten to drag Perlick around his hometown (okay, home metropolis), to show him he did grow up in (near) a city of amazing culture?

I remember him talking about wanting to do that at some point, but I bet he hasn't been there with you or Jofish, two people who really appreciate the Windy City.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Bats said...

Yeah, I've suggested this idea to him--it would be a lot of fun; get a cheap hotel out at the end of the El/Loop, and just take the train all around town to explore. Doing that with more people would probably be a lot of fun--do you have any plans to be in that area?

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No plans to visit Chicago in the near future. The family vacation to the northern Midwest is taking me to MSP and MSN instead, and my travel plans after are more focused on bike trips. But keep me in the loop. Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home