2005-10-06

Ultra-low bandwidth data transfer

My group is doing research on basement wall systems in a house in Kitchener (town south of Waterloo). We typically set up a telephone modem or network connection to dataloggers to remotely retrieve our data, but in this case, we just installed a computer extension cable to the outside, so we can stand in the side yard and download to a laptop.

I have been very big on limiting my car use; I managed to go 96 days between filling up on gas this summer. I can walk to the University, bike everywhere else, and save my car for Home Depot runs. So I suggested to my advisor that I could take care of downloads via bicycle trips, with the use of software that connects from a Palm to the datalogger. He replied:

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:56:20 -0400
From: Building Engineering Group Advisor
To: KU
Subject: Re: Itinerary for Return

RE: Rather than a piece of electronics, may I offer you my mechanical device: a car. This allows you to use a laptop, save an hour round trip, and protect your back and your laptop. Just an offer.


My answer was:

I have heard of this 'car' device you speak of--and some very smart people have told me that these devices are responsible for a good portion of North America's imported fuel consumption [grin].

Seriously, I enjoy the bike ride, and that ride is about the scale I would do for fun/exercise (less than a commute back from Westford). I'm planning on doing it for download trips until the weather turns really crappy; it's just a question of whether I'm doing it with a light piece of computing power or a heavier piece.


So with last nice stretch of good weather we're having (highs ~75 F), I went ahead and did the ride down there with my laptop.



I have to admit that it is probably a lot less time effective than a remote download from a desktop. But a lot more fun. We'll see how far into the winter this lasts--I might need to invest in studded tires.

In the meanwhile, does anyone have an old Palm PC (Palm OS Version 3.3 or later) that they have retired and put in a box, and want to sell for cheap? A pocket PC might work too.

I also had the guys putting down asphalt driveways asking me what I was doing--they said they were wondering if I was hacking into this house's bank account or something. I let them know that it was a lot less interesting than that. But they got me to rake out some asphalt for them--seemed like a nice break.

In other news, I finally got my, um, implant (yeah, dental) put in:



It is taking some getting used to... I'd gotten accustomed to not having a tooth back there. Also, the crown is a little high, so biting down hard on that side hurts my upper teeth a bit.

Also, Jofish is supposed to be coming to visit me this weekend! Woohoo! My first visitor! This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving, for all of my south-of-the-border friends.

4 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ELW has a late-model sony clie. No, I don't know how to pronounce it either. It was obviated by her cell phone. I will ask her.
-Leper

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess this is the other side of the coin from "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes".

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Bats said...

Actually, the handheld computing problem has been solved--Jofish brought up a Palm III that he is not using; that will probably do the job quite nicely.

Re bandwidth--yeah, that's what I was thinking of--I remember seeing an article about the fact that serious commercial backups have to be done via trucks and tapes/hard drives, due to bandwidth limitations of wires.

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Somerville. My fine for obstructing street sweeping pretty much wiped out my savings from mothballing the car, but I'm still glad to be doing it now, rather than having to do it 5 years from now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home