2009-04-25

More Amusing Pics

I'm just back from a bounce trip to Florida (22 hours on the ground--yuck). Instead of a content-filled post, here are a few amusing photos I took recently.

I did make it up to Bird & Jen's briefly last weekend (got to see Philip Glass in concert--more on that later). But we also stopped by the New Hampshire State Liquor Store in Portsmouth. Man... there's some scary stuff there...

Such as Poland Spring Gin:


Huh wha? Apparently, it is a different company from the bottled water company. Looking at the plastic 1.75 liter jug, I just had mental images that they also make 5-gallon plastic carboys of this stuff. Y'know... just pop it on top of your water cooler... [ga-dunk ga-dunk ga-dunk ga-dunk ga-dunk]. This web page has some remarkably amusing, snarky, and informative bits on Poland Spring gin:

I read in an article that Poland Spring water was first bottled back over 150 years ago and was something of a trend setter. Selling bottled water was almost unheard of, and there were very few companies doing so. After Prohibition ended, Lawrence & Co. of Boston made Poland Spring Gin, Sloe Gin, and Whiskey using Poland Spring water and bottled them in decorative bottles called Moses bottles.

... the word is that many folks out there consider it a step above rubbing alcohol and claim it gives killer hangovers. I have only seen it sold in 1.75 liter jugs, which is a strong indicator that it's a pretty low level gin.

The taste is light and slightly sharp, with not much ginni-ness to it. (I know that's not a word.) After a few minuscule sips I decided that it wasn't worth it to drink any more, I just wasn't in the mood to punish myself, and I relegated the bottle back down to the depths of the library where it can stay in hiding indefinitely.


Bird and I were also looking for tonic water... but it appears that NH liquor stores can't sell anything but booze... probably some type of non-compete agreement with convenience stores. But wait... what about this stuff? That looks like a mixer...


Not only does it look like a 1.75 liter bottle of Cheez Whiz, it actually has booze in it! Just add ice and blend! Oh god...

Moving on... during the drive back to the airport in Florida, I had to take this photo. For those of you who have known me since undergrad, you know that this is a repeat gag (from 1994)... but I still get a chuckle out of it.


Anyway, I thought it would make a great little web story about implementing dashboard cameras in cars... ".. these were the last three recoverable frames found in what was left of the car..."

1 Comments:

At 2:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You know what they say Bats -- if it's not funny, repeat it 'till it is. But I thought the truck photo was funny -- then again, I saw it the first time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home