2008-09-27

Ask Intarwebs: DVD-R Failures?


I'm having some problems with my DVD writer, and I've tried all the fixes I've found to date on the Intarweb. Just thought I'd solicit my friends for any ideas they might have.

I've had a TDK IndiDVD AID-440N DVD burner installed in my computer (P4, Windows 2000 SP 4) for a bunch of years (maybe 2003?); it's worked fine up until now. I have had good success burning Maxell DVD-R's, both data and movies.

I recently burned through a spindle pack, and started on a new pack of DVD-Rs; same brand, looks the same. I try to burn the DVD, and immediately get this error:


I thought, "Huh, maybe a bad batch?" I bought a new spindle pack of Memorex DVD-Rs at MicroCenter. No dice still--same error message. What's weird is that it seems to pop up this error message immediately after hitting "Start Burn"--before the disc would have time to spin up.

Through all of this, playing DVDs (both factory and DVD-Rs) has been no problem.

I've tried doing a few measures. Uninstall and reinstall the DVD burning software. Reinstall the driver. Tried from a few programs (my original software, plus iTunes--same error). I have downloaded and flashed the firmware with the most current version. I'm holding back from one more step (uninstall and reinstall the hardware from the system)--it sounds annoying and unpleasant. Also, I am worried about the risk of going from a partially working DVD drive to a non-working DVD drive.

Any ideas?

Oh wait... any ideas besides, "Get a Mac?"

Edit: Tried the last few steps I had on my list--uninstalled and reinstalled the device from my system: nothing. And then took the drive apart, blew off the lens with compressed air (in case dust was reducing laser power enough to prevent burning): nothing.

I think I'll go with Jofish's comment below--time to buy a new DVD burner.

2 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boot to a USB-drive Linux distro and test things from here? --Omri

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No good suggestions here. I would make sure that all the cables are properly plugged in and all. It sounds like you've done all the software fixes possible.

You may need to buy a new drive. Newegg has this for $21 shipped right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16827136149

 

Post a Comment

<< Home