2004-09-28

Technology rocks!

My Voice over IP phone just arrived today; incredibly simple setup, and it works great! I got the Packet8 Freedom Unlimited Plan--I think it's unlimited minutes. For some reason, I thought I ordered a 500 minute per month plan, but then again, I tried signing up with two other carriers (Vonage and Lingo/Primus) that had problems sending stuff up to Canada. Looking at the Packet8 website, it seems like they don't even offer a 500 minute plan, so I guess it's unlimited.

Voice quality seems fine... but then again, I haven't tried calling at peak network load times (~5-7 PM, I think?). Leper has pointed out that VoIP takes advantage of the lowered expectations of the public, given the voice and connection quality of cell phones ("Wow... I've barely dropped any calls with this VoIP thing! This is great!").

This phone has caller ID, call waiting, 3-way conference calling, and call forwarding, but I have yet to play with these features.

Anyway, the best news: it's a 617 (Massachusetts/US) number! Take my old home number (as a 7 digit number), and subtract 469,161 from it. So those of you with unlimited US plans--now you can call me for cheap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home